The Story Behind the Name - The 13 Room (26-105)
The 13 room (26-105) is all about luck
- Harrison K. McCann claimed that 13 was his lucky number and instituted it as part of the agency’s lore and legend based on various serendipitous associations.
- He had started working at his first major marketing job on Oct. 13
- The H.K. McCann Co. agency itself was incorporated on Nov. 13, 1911.
- Both the agency name, The H.K. McCann Co., and its slogan, Truth Well Told, have 13 letters in them.
- The agency’s first offices were across the street from its founding client, Standard Oil, at 26 Broadway (twice 13) and the second headquarters was in the 13-lettered Adams Building.
- H.K. then always located his own office on the 13th floor of whatever building the agency was in, and even insisted that the new 50 Rockefeller Plaza building it moved into in 1939 defy the usual skyscraper superstitions and designate a 13th floor for this reason.