The Story Behind The Name - The Harper Room
The Harper Room (27-150) honors Marion Harper, Jr
- During his two decades of company leadership, Marion Harper, Jr., revolutionized not only McCann Erickson, but the entire advertising industry.
- He first joined McCann in 1939, rose to become research director, and then in 1948, at age 32, he became Harrison McCann’s hand-picked successor as agency president.
- He was a major innovator and global visionary who also set new business records, as when he won Coca-Cola and General Motors as U.S. clients in the mid-1950s, establishing them as aligned worldwide accounts.
- Throughout the 1950s and into the 1960s, he pioneered the development of integrated marketing communications, specialized agencies within agencies, and think tanks.
- In 1960, he reorganized McCann Erickson into a multidivisional, multiplatform communications operation that he renamed Interpublic, thus creating the first agency holding company.