Name That Platform - Foursquare/Swarm
Are you looking for cool, new, or emerging technology for your next campaign, to impress a client, or just to expand your knowledge of what’s out there? Here are some quick notes from when Foursquare/Swarm came to the office. These learnings can apply to any and all accounts.
- Foursquare/Swarm is an app that helps you turn every day into a game. This location-based check-in and review social platform lets users earn prizes and compete with friends based on the places you go.
- Despite the fact that people are spending 3 hours per day on their phones, 92.5% of commerce is still happening in the real world. This is great for Foursquare/Swarm, which is all about the places you go to eat, shop, work and be entertained.
- Swarm does not require checking in to a store, restaurant, office, gym or theater to capture location information. Checking-in is to share and gamify your location and your reviews, but info. is being captured all the time to help fuel Swarm's insights into behavior and interests. For example, someone who goes to elementary schools, automotive repair shops and grocery stores is probably a parent with a young child, so there is opportunity to serve up a native ad for applesauce. A check-in at a doctor’s office during cold & flu season is an opportunity to serve up a coupon for cough medicine, which can sync with the Passbook on a phone when the consumer gets close to the drug store they frequent.
- Because Foursquare/Swarm is so precise, it can pinpoint location not only horizontally, but vertically as well. For example, it will know if a consumer is in CVS rather than in the shoe store above it or the coffee shop next door.
- Don’t mistake Foursquare/Swarm for just a clever targeted media buy. It also has a creative offering. For example, Swarm worked with Land Rover to launch the new ‘Discover’ SUV with a ‘Discover the Undiscovered’ map -- a piece of creative with suggestions for things to do in the area based on the user's interests. This experience also lives outside of Foursquare/Swarm on the Land Rover website.