5 Tips for Spring with Chloe Kekovic
It’s that time of year again – the season of rejuvenation and the replenishment. Time to clean up, cleanse and get yourself ready for the warmer months (and the occasional snow day here and there till April because, let’s keep it honest).
Here are 5 tips to help you mentally prep. While some are indulgent, there are also some steps that are healthy for not only yourself, but for the greater NYC community.
1. Cleanse Your Closet! Easier said than done, I know. But if you’re like me, you live in a teeny tiny space, so get to decluttering. Go through clothes, fabrics, shoes, and be honest. Just because your mom bought you that too-small sweater doesn’t mean you have to hang on to it. Get a bag (or four!) going, and bring 'em on down to some of the following locations:
a.Dress for Success – an amazing organization that collects women’s professional clothing for those who are unable to afford it. Give someone less able means to success.
b. The Bowery Mission – a famous and lasting shelter that has provided housing for those in need for decades. Their clothing donation center is open 24/7, and their site highlights specific needs.
2. Curate a Playlist! Nothing says spring like memorizing the pre-summer jams. Luckily, Drake’s new album, “More Life” has curated a mix with a multitude of incredible artists ranging from Kanye to Skepta that are shockingly absorbable. Personal favorites include Passionfruit, Sacrifices and Gyalchester. While Drake has clearly gotten stuck in a somewhat redundant phase, give the album a couple of listens you’ll find yourself singing aloud at your desk (I have, oops!).
3. Plants are Life! The sun is finally out later than 4:00 pm, and the extra time to soak up some rays applies to our plant friends too. In addition to adding some aesthetic to anyone’s home, they’re also super good for you. Plants naturally filter out pollutants and toxins – even NASA says so. Here’s an extensive and highly informative list: http://lifehacker.com/this-graphic-shows-the-best-air-cleaning-plants-accord-1705307836. In addition to houseplants, why not try a mint, basil or cilantro plant? Stick it by the sun, water it when you leave the house in the morning and you have the perfect addition to any meal (or cocktail..!).
4. Digital Detox! Is your inbox 3 digits? Or worse, 4? Go through the process of mass deleting – a clean inbox is a clean mind! Have too many apps but can’t take the plunge to delete them? Well here’s your moment. Seriously, do it now. As it gets warmer, our picture-taking count climbs and climbs, and who wants to be caught running out of room? Start with your technology, and then we’ll see about cleaning the kitchen.
5. Cut it! Hmm, did your mind immediately leap to the thought of a haircut when you read those words? Well, now’s the moment. Instead of waiting until the start of summer to take the plunge, chop it now. Fine, I’m biased because I have a buzzed head, but let me tell you – it feels amazing in a summer breeze!